In 1737, in San José, the Spanish authorities, under the control of Tomás López de Corral, ordered the construction of a small group of houses with palm leafed roofs on the plains of Boca Del Monte. It would be the new village that would bring together all of the inhabitants of the area, and was named Villa Nueva de la Boca Del Monte Del Valle Abra. With time, that village became the city of San José and has been the capital of the country since 1823. In its first 39 years; San José was a village with clay streets and poor houses. In the plaza of San José there was only the Piedad Church. Villagers began to establish other facilities for foreigners that had begun to arrive in the area. At the end of the XVIII century, an education building and the cathedral were erected, in front of the Central Park, where agricultural fairs ran by the farmers and the indigenous were held.
San José is made up of blocks of numbered streets, that run from the north to the south and avenues that run from east to west. The southern and eastern streets are even numbered and those that run from the north to the west have uneven numbers.