Santa Rosa, is the oldest national park in Costa Rica, it was founded in 1970 to safe guard the vast extensions of tropical dry forest and the scene of the two most important battles of the country. The Murciélago section was added in 1979 thanks to the country acquiring land from the Nicaraguan Dictator Anastasio Somoza. The president Oscar Arias declared the land situated between Murciélago and the park property of the park at the end of the 80’s, so that Santa Rosa could occupy all of the Santa Elena Peninsula, some 50.000 hectares in total. It is a park of historical interest, with large extensions, coral reefs and several kilometers of virgin beaches in the Santa Elena and Papagayo Gulfs. The beaches in Santa Rosa are nesting areas for three species of marine turtles. This is an area where the largest amounts of Lora Turtles arrive from the American Tropics.
How to arrive and leave
The entrance is located to the west of the Interamerican, 35 Km to the north of Liberia, and 45 Km to the south of the border with Nicaragua. It is right next to the exit of the Interamerican highway. 2 Km from the entrance there is a turnoff on the right that tanks take, iron clad vehicles that where seized from the Nicaraguan troops in 1955 during the attempted invasion of Somoza. The administration offices of the park are in La Casona, 7 Km to the west of the Interamerican highway.