Quircot Church

Quircot Church

Parroquia Inmaculada Concepción de Quircot Ph + (506) 2537-3608. E-mail: inmaculadaconcepcionquircot@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/Parroquia-Inmaculada-Concepci%C3%B3n-de-Quircot-225741644163751/  Quircot is a town located 2 kilometers northwest of the city of Cartago, belonging to the district of San Nicolás, in the central canton of the province of Cartago. It is one of the oldest towns in the country. In 1569, when its inhabitants, belonging to the Huetar ethnic group, were distributed to Spaniards by Governor Perafán de Rivera y Gómez, an indigenous monarch named Pixtoro reigned there. The Franciscan friars established there around 1575, whose patron was the Immaculate Conception. Until 1826 its population was exclusively indigenous, but due to its proximity to the city of Cartago its inhabitants were frequently used as labor for the benefit of the Spanish population and quickly lost their language, costume and customs. During the Spanish domination the town had its own town hall or municipality, which was suppressed in 1836 by the government of Braulio Carrillo Colina. Like other indigenous communities in the Central Valley of Costa Rica, the population also lost their communal lands, which were confiscated and sold at public auction. The church of Quircot, built in the second half of the 19th century and restored in the 1970s, is representative of the Franciscan religious architecture of Costa Rica. Although it is still used as a temple, it also contains a collection of images, furniture and other objects that date back to the 16th and 17th centuries. The church, where the image of the Immaculate Conception is venerated, was incorporated into the Historical Architectural Heritage of Costa Rica, according to Executive Decree No. 30787-C, published in La Gaceta No. 205 of October 24, 2002.