Valley of Orchids
It is a welcoming valley, situated in the foothills of the Miner Cordillera, known by the name of Montes del Aguacate. It is surrounded by mountains and hills, whose heights range from 1200 and 1480 meters above sea level, reaching a maximum height at the border with San Ramón, and its lowest point being the Rio Grande, at 850 meters above sea level. Although the colonizers from Palmares where those that initially settled here and founded the population of San Ramón, Palmares was a district that went by the name of Barrio Mercedes and on the 7th of November it became independent from Parish of Patronato de San Anselmo de Cantorbery, which is why Patrona Titular Nuestra Señora de Mercedes was changed to the Patron Saint of the Bishop of that time, Monseñor Anselmo Llorente and La fuente. This was established with decree 69 on the 30th of July 1888 supported by Monseñor Esteban Echeverri Cura Parroco from the area. It was firstly named Valle de los Palmares, because of the abundance of palm trees that surrounded the area and where used by the first inhabitants to build roofs on their homes.