Museo Histórico Cultural Juan Santamaría. Alajuela, Costa Rica.
Ph + (506) 2441-4775/ Ph + (506) 2442-1838. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.museojuansantamaria.go.cr/ Juan Santamaria Cultural Historical Museum was created by Republic Act No. 5619 , of December 4, 1974, amended by Law No. 6572 of April 23, 1981 , which has its respective Regulation . The project that gave rise to this bill was the initiative of then deputy alajuelense Dr. Luis A. Salas Corrales (+). The Museum is named “Juan Santamaría” in honor of the national hero, whose heroic materializes on April 11, 1856 in Rivas, Nicaragua. On April 9, 1980, the museum opened its doors to local and national community. This museum is the only one specializing in the subject of the National Campaign 1856-57 filibuster against invading country.
We are the institution created for recovery, custody, preservation and dissemination of historical heritage of the heroic 1856-1857 to keep current in the collective memory of Costa Ricans, through various cultural events while promoting cultural development Alajuelense educational and pleasure purposes.
An institution positioned nationally drives, sensitizes and strengthens the historical identity of Costa Rica about the National Campaign and Alajuelense in relation to their cultural heritage.
The museum is a part of the Ministry of Culture and Youth institution. The organizational structure for care services and work which is in charge of the museum is based on an Administrative Board, the Directorate General, the Department of Museum Services and Administrative Area. The board consists of five members governs the institution, together with the Directorate General guiding and leading institutional work. Museological Services area caters aspects of collections, museum documentation, conservation, exhibitions, education, cultural promotion and information center. The Administrative area functions as support for the tasks performed within the institution.
This museum institution welcomes people who wish to volunteer and community work student and professional practices of various institutions and specialties. To be received, the applicant must submit a letter from the educational institution where it comes from, where requested by the Museum acceptance.
The museum is housed in the buildings known as “Old Jail of Alajuela”, a building constructed between 1894 and 1895 and “Old Cuartel de Armas of the city of Alajuela, also built in the nineteenth century. The two buildings were declared of historical interest – equity through Decree No. 9951-C of March 5, 1979 and Decree No.6358 of September 9, 1976. The first registration record of the farm where the two buildings are located in the colonial Carthage Protocol No. 1050, dated November 14, 1817. In late September 1822, Mr. Rosario Carrillo and his wife Dona Maria Fernandez donated to the community the land where the building of the old prison is. His will was that a teaching house and a chapel to St. Michael the Archangel was built, but what was built was the prison, which operated until 1974. The former barracks was built during the government of Tomas Guardia between 1874 and 1877 and remodeled in 1936. In 1949 the abolished the standing army, the former headquarters of weapons of Alajuela was occupied from 1960 by Jesús Ocaña Vocational College . Then from 1977 it became headquarters of the Research Center for Technical Improvement (CIPET), an institution under the Ministry of Public Education. Among the most important achievements by the law Alajuelense deputy, Dr. Eduardo Soto Chavarria, before the Standing Committee on Economic Affairs of the Legislative Assembly concerning the transfer of “Old Barracks Alajuela” to the Historical Museum Cultural Juan Santamaría is , which had a rapid affirmative majority opinion on 14 October 1988. by Law No. 7895, of July 30, 1999 the transfer of the building to the Museum for specific purposes and the mission entrusted to this institution was authorized.